Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Mother's Day Poem

Since Mother's Day is coming up I thought I would share this with everyone.....This really makes you stop and think.

I stopped to watch my little one
busy playing in her room.
In one hand was a plastic phone;
in the other a deflated balloon.
I listened as she was saying
to her make believe little friend
and I'll never forget the words she said,
even though it was pretend.
She said, " teddys in the corner
cuz he's not been very good.
He didn't listen to a word I said
or do the things he should."
In the corner I saw her teddy bear
all dressed in a bow and brown fur.
It was obvious he's been put there
to sit all alone for sure.
My daughter continued her "conversation"
as I sat down on the floor.
She said, "I'm all fed up I just don't know what to do with him anymore?
He whines whenever I have to go to work
and wants to play games, too;
he never lets me do the things that I just have to do.
He tries to help me with the dishes,
but his arms just cannot reach
and he doesn't know how to fold towels
and I don't have the time to teach.
I have lots of work to do
and a big house to clean.
I don't have the time to sit and play-
don't you know what I mean?"
And that day I thought a lot
about making some changes in my life;
as I listened to her innocent
words that cut me like a knife.
I hadn't been paying enough attention
to what I hold most dear.
I'd been caught up in resposibilities
that increased throughout the year.
But now my attitude has changed,
because, in my heart, I realize
I've seen the world in a different light
through my little darling's eyes.
So, let the cobwebs have the corners
and the dustbunnies rule the floor.
I'm not going to worry
about keeping up with them anymore.
I'm going to fill the house with memories
of a child and her mother
for God grants us Only One Childhood,
and we will never get another.

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

Great poem! Don't get me wrong cleaning is important, but there are just those days where putting that aside and playing w/ our kids is more important and means the world to them. Hence when you walk in my place and WHOOPS step on a cheerio. LMAO

Angela said...

I really agree!!! Oh well if people can't understand then thats their fault.

Amy said...

Great poem, really puts it into perspective! I agree, there are days that you just need to ignore it and play with your kids!!!!

Grant it, I'm a vacuum nazi, but that takes all but 2 minutes out of my day. LOL!