Thursday, May 1, 2008

The Month of May


Two important things happening this month is one its Mothers Day on May 11th. Not sure if I'm doing anything special yet. As long as I'm spending it with Gina thats all that matters. What I would really like to do is go and get a real nice massage and maybe a pedicure. Like a day of pampering. That would be great, but I know myself and I won't relax anyway.

Another important thing this month is its Skin Cancer Awareness Month. Some of you know that I had cancerous cells show up after I had a mole removed from my skin. It turned out it was not cancerous thank god!!!! This was a couple of years ago and even after I got the phone call from my doctors office that my test came back abnormal and then the next phone call that everything was fine I still didn't think really anything of it and I still went tanning...Actually this year is the only year ever since I started which is probably been 12 years now since I have been tanning that I haven't gone. I was a tanning queen!!!!

Melanoma (skin cancer) runs in my family. So I make sure I go to my visits once every year and it is always around this time. Here is some information for you to look at. Remember, if you see any weird growths on your body or maybe a mole you have had but maybe the color is darker now or the shape has changed, don't mess around, go get it checked especially if skin cancer does run in your family, but even if it doesn't you can still get it.



Cancer Basics: Skin cancer is the most common of all cancers. The two most common types of skin cancer are basal cell and squamous cell, usually referred to as non-melanoma skin cancers. Basal cell is a slow-growing cancer that seldom spreads to other parts of the body and accounts for more than 90% of all skin cancers in the United States. Squamous cell is much less common than basal cell and is more likely to spread to other parts of the body.
Melanoma is the most serious of all skin cancer types because it is more likely than non-melanoma skin cancers to invade healthy tissue and spread to other parts of the body. Melanomas usually occur on or around existing moles.Melanoma accounts for about 3% of skin cancer cases, but it causes most skin cancer deaths. The number of new cases of melanoma in the United States is on the rise. According to The American Cancer Society, there will be 59,940 new cases of melanoma in the United States in 2007 and approximately 8,110 people will die of this disease.


Appearance: People who have red or blond hair, fair skin, freckles and blue or light-colored eyes are more at risk of developing skin cancer. Skin cancer occurs less often in Hispanics, Asians and African Americans. However, darker skinned people and those who tan easily can still develop skin cancer, as well as suffer the long-term effects like dry skin and premature aging.


Personal/family history: history of skin cancer, especially melanoma, can put people at higher risk


Look for changes as well as new growths. Learn the ABCs of melanoma:
Asymmetry of lesion: Are both sides of the lesion different?
Border irregularity: Are the edges notched as opposed to smooth?
Color variegation: Is the lesion a mixture of black, blue, red and white?
Diameter: Is the diameter greater than six millimeters? (Most melanomas are larger than the head of a pencil.)
Evolution: Is the lesion growing in width or height?
Feeling: Has the sensation around a mole or spot changed?


1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Skin Cancer SCARY! Runs in brian's family as well. So how about spray tans, where can we get that??